ABOUT THE NATIONAL JUSTICE PROJECT
The National Justice Project (NJP) is a not-for-profit legal service and civil rights organisation. We use the law, advocacy and education to tackle systemic injustice and promote government accountability. We primarily represent and support First Nations peoples and asylum seekers/refugees who have harmed and discriminated against within the justice and health care systems. We advance human rights by representing and supporting our clients to have their voices heard. We advocate for the reform and development of law, and a justice system that is fair, just and equitable, taking on the most challenging cases that will create systemic change.
THE JUNIOR/GRADUATE SOLICITOR POSITIONS
The NJP is offering two fixed-term paid opportunities for lawyers/soon-to-be lawyers who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander. Each successful candidate will be offered a 12-month contract, with one lawyer to be based in Sydney, NSW and one to be based in Perth, WA.
The successful candidate will apply their legal training, together with lived experience and knowledge, to practical and administrative tasks to seek justice and accountability for our clients and the wider community.
- Contribute to direct legal casework and strategic litigation
- Liaise with clients and our partners
- Provide high quality advice, assistance and casework service to the clients of the NJP
- Undertake administrative and case management activities
- Maintain an effective and ethical legal practice
All questions and applications should be sent to email@example.com before 5 January 2021. Early applications will be considered. The start dates of the positions are flexible for the right candidate.
In your application, please send your CV along with a statement with your response to the selection criteria:
- A current practising certificate (NSW or WA) or eligibility to hold one within three months of commencement;
- A passion for human rights and social justice, in particular in relation to Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander people;
- An understanding of culturally safe and trauma informed practice; and
- Indicate your preference for Perth or Sydney base.
Click here for a complete position description.
We also have another part-time position based in Sydney. If you are interested, please see the position description here.